Thursday, September 12, 2013

Purpose of Anthem

What's the point? 

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek." - Romans 1:16 ESV

When I had the idea of creating this blog, I wasn't sure if it was actually something God wanted me to do or not. However, as I prayed about it, the thought kept coming to mind. I kept telling God, "I'm not a skilled writer, I haven't had seminary training..." I had a lot of excuses. God just wouldn't let it go. 


The purpose of Anthem is to glorify our Heavenly Father by sharing the truth of the gospel. It is my hope and prayer that everything written on Anthem will be to this end. However, my words are not God's words and should not be considered as God's words. So, please pray with me that my words would speak truth, love, and grace. 


So, why Anthem? It actually wasn't my idea (you might have guessed that if you're a fan of 116 Clique). The Christian Rap group 116 Clique is what gave me the idea for the name. The 116 Clique says that Romans 1:16 is their anthem and often encourage men to "man up" using Romans 1:16. An anthem is "a rousing or uplifting song identified with a particular group, body, or cause (via Google)." It is my hope that Romans 1:16 will be the anthem of my life, and the lives of the other believers in the Church. Imagine the impact we could have as Christians if we were really unashamed of the gospel, if we really embraced the power of the gospel to reach the world with the Truth. Imagine if people thought of unashamed, loving, and gracious people when they heard the word "Christian." If Romans 1:16 is our "anthem", how people identify us, then our impact on the world around us would be great. Join me in making Romans 1:16 the anthem of Christianity. 


Thank you for reading! If you have a prayer request or a question for me, send me an email at george.holleway@gmail.com 


God bless, 
George Holleway